Cities and regions face a multitude of inter-connected challenges in planning for the future. Decision makers often struggle to address questions such as:
- How can our region best accomodate growth and development over the coming decades and beyond? What type of development should our region encourage, and where should it occur? How much growth should occur through intensification of existing urban areas, versus development of greenfield lands?
- Is our growth management strategy well aligned with our region's current and projected economic strengths?
- How can we formulate coherent, integrated plans for infrastructure - transportation, water and wastewater - to support the continued vitality of our region?
- How will regional demographic trends (for example, an aging population) affect the demand for social services?
- What are the energy use and environmental impacts of alternative regional growth trajectories? What transition periods are associated with impact-reducing strategies?
whatIf? Technololiges has been active in the field of urban and regional growth managment analysis since the early 1990s. We have implemented planning models that enable a holistic, quantitative approach to exploring the types of issues listed above. Our models allow users to interactively create and analyze scenarios via simulation.
We offer the Population and Land Use Model (PLUM) as an application product, as well as custom urban and regional models.